How to Style Sweaters Chic Outfits + Tips
When the temperatures drop, sweaters instantly become our everyday go-to. A big, soft, cozy sweater is one item of clothing that gives me consistent bliss. It feels like being wrapped in your favorite blanket, but you wear them to work and on dates and even under the blanket you’re wrapped in — double the coziness, double the happiness.
Chic Sweaters are a true wardrobe staple. In this guide, we’ll share our seven favorite ways to elevate your sweater game no matter the season or occasion, along with tips on how to create the perfect sweater outfit.
#1 Pair It With Jeans And Boots
When the crisp fall weather first rolls in and you’re eager to enjoy it, the first garments you reach for in your wardrobe are probably an oversized sweater and jeans.
This look is a classic, but it's one for a reason. Different styles of jeans and boots make it possible to create countless unique outfits for the same sweater. For example, distressed jeans or mom jeans give your ensemble a more casual vibe without looking sloppy, while black jeans or fitted jeans can come off as more professional.
And you can play around with the footwear by wearing:
- Over the knee boots
- Ankle boots
- Combat boots
- Heeled boots
This fall look is already trendy on its own, but there’s one accessory that can help complete it: a handbag. Purses are the perfect way to add a bit of flare to your outfit.
#2 Show It Off With An Open-Front Coat
When it’s chilly outside, an oversized, chunky sweater and open-front coat is a match made in heaven. The two form a chic outfit that's perfect for a nice dinner, running errands, a trip to the office, and anything in between while keeping you warm.
And there are many different coat styles to experiment with, from pea coats to trench coats to dusters and beyond. Besides coat style, play with color, texture, and print to make the look your own. Some of our favorite options include:
- Monochromatic– a monochromatic look is an easy way to have a chic look with minimal effort. Nude, White or black monochromatic looks are flattering on everyone and easy to put together
- Prints –Animal print or any type of strips or checked print are a great way to add some flare to your outfit. A leopard or stripped blazer adds contrast to a versatile neutral sweater. Likewise, a leopard print or stripped sweater pairs perfectly with a coat of any color.
If you’re looking for a low-effort, high-impact way to style a sweater, pairing it with an open-front coat is the way to go.
#3 Wear Your Sweater With Leather Pants
For an effortless chic look pair your sweater with some leather pants. A knit sweater and leather pants combo is a nice way to mix contrasting textures together. This combination is not only cozy and casual but can easily be dressed up for a winter night out.
Try out the following variations on this look:
- Oversized sweater – For a more casual chic laid back outfit, wear and oversized sweater with your leather pants. Finish off the look with some sneakers, minimal jewelry and a tote bag.
- Cropped Sweater – To extenuate your shape pair some high waisted leather pants with a cropped sweater. To dress up the look add booties, jewelry and a cute bag.
Whether you’re planning a night out on the town with the girls or a fun night in to treat yourself, you can find a sweater and leather pants ensemble to match the occasion.
#4 Opt For A Chic Look With Heels
Do you have a sweater that feels a little too casual for everyday wear? A pair of high heels can elevate any outfit.
For occasions where looking chic is just as important as staying warm, break out your favorite heels—be they stilettos, kitten heels, wedges, or pumps.
- For the office – Pair your oversized sweater with heels that are comfortable enough to get you through the day. Consider tucking the front of your sweater into a pair of work-appropriate trousers for an added dash of class.
- For brunch – Going from cycling straight to brunch? Bring a cozy oversized sweater and heels to instantly transform your athleisure into a mimosa-ready look.
#5 Throw It Over A Midi Skirt Or Dress
Wearing a sweater over a dress or skirt may not be your go to option for styling your sweaters but once you try it you will be hooked. This out-of-the-box style creates visual interest by breaking up your silhouette. It also provides the opportunity to play with color, texture, and proportion.
Better yet, the look is easy to achieve. A fashionably-large cozy sweater can be thrown over just about any dress or skirt in your wardrobe. Here are a few ways you can style your sweater over a dress or midi skirt:
- Sweater Over a Dress With a Belt – Simply place the belt over your dress and around your waist. Tuck the front part of your sweater into the front of your belt and let the back of your sweater fall naturally. Any belt you like will do!
- Monochromatic Sweater Over Dress – This is such a chic look and so easy to pull off. Grab a black dress from your closet (a tank dress or slip dress are great options), and throw over top a slightly oversized black sweater. Add in a small black purse and a pair of black ballet flats, mules, or loafers. Chic, polished, and perfect for all kinds of occasions.
Oversized sweaters with turtlenecks can be especially fashionable choices for this style since the large neck can help balance the look. That said, a turtleneck is a benefit, not a necessity. You can still pull off this styling option with just about any favorite sweater in your wardrobe.
#6 Throw A Button-Down Underneath
Add a little something different to your button up by adding a sweater on top.
To achieve a look that’s fashionable, trendy, and toasty, take the following steps:
- Find a collared button-down – This button-down needs to match your sweater since you’ll be wearing it underneath with the collar peeking out. You can use one that has a fun print or go for a classic white button-down.
- Pull the collar through the top of the sweater – Tuck the collar over the top of your sweater to make it visible. You can also pull the bottom of the button-down to peek out from under your sweater for a little more pop.
- Finish the look with professional jewelry – Accessories can make or break any outfit, but no office look is complete without a necklace or earrings.
This fun look will let you get some more mileage out of your button-downs before it’s too cold and sweater season comes into full effect.
#7 Wear Your Sweater As A Dress
While an extra-large sweater can be cozy for lounging on the couch, it might feel too roomy for everyday wear. But you don’t need to be intimidated by the fact that your sweater hangs down to your knees. In fact, you can make it work for you by wearing that sweater as a dress on its own.
- If you’d prefer a little more length to cover your upper thighs, wear a slip, legging, or skinny jeans underneath your sweater. Thin material can provide a fun and surprising contrast to sweater dresses.
- A belt can help give your sweater shape and show off your waistline. Choose a chunkier belt that can stand up to the thick material of the oversized piece and stay in place throughout the day.
When transforming your sweater into a dress, your shoes and accessories will help to tie an oversized sweater outfit together. Make a statement with options like the following:
- Tall boots
- Bold sunglasses
- Classy earrings
- Eye-grabbing necklaces
You can’t go wrong with any of these choices when wearing a sweater dress. And the right accessory—like this pair of mother of pearl earrings—can take your look to the next level. That means it's time to grab your lint roller and dust off that oversized, baggy sweater.
Have Effortless Style With The Style District
Sweaters are trendy, and it’s clear why. They’re not only ultra-comfortable, but also chic, flattering, and professional when styled in the seven ways above. But an outfit is only as fabulous as the quality of its pieces. That’s where The Style District steps in. Our selection of high-quality, versatile sweaters is perfect for any fall, winter, or spring look. Shop our sweaters today and never worry again about having clothes that sit unworn in your closet